Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is your horse crowding you

Now that you have been working on the last few exercises, leading your horse around you, drifting the hindquarters, un-tracking the hindquarters, and bringing the front quarters across, you will want to check and make sure that your horse is not crowding you. Sometimes people will think that their horse is not crowding them as they lead him around, but in reality are just too busy dancing around the horse to avoid getting run over that they don't realize they are doing this. A quick check to see if your horse is staying out of your space while leading around you, or if you are dancing around your horse is to lead your horse between you and a fence.

You will want to stand about about 5 to 6 feet off the wall, facing the wall. Then lead the horse between you and the fence, once the hindquarters have passed in front you, change hands on the lead rope, un-track the hindquarters and then lead the front across, like you learned in the last few exercises. Then lead the horse between you and the fence again, and repeat the above steps. The horse should never go behind you, he should be moving on a half circle in front of you. You also should not ever be moving backwards, where you start is where you should stay. You may step in with one foot while un-tracking the hindquarters and then back to your original spot. Remember the horse should be moving out at a lively walk, giving you the space where you don't feel the need to step back, the fence should offer you a stationary point to focus on so you know for sure if you are maintaining your position, or dancing around the horse so you don't get stepped on.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know. We should be getting video demonstrations of these exercises up soon. Best of luck.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I can not tell how to subscribe to blogs yet. Some how I have two in my subscriber list. I was trying to subscribe to yours but somehow I am leaving you a comment. So hear it is. My comment:D


While I am here I will say that your picture of the hurt finger is awful! Is that yours? I am sorry if so. I love horses and well I have one filly I am working with now...Little tired now.. LOL Good night! :D

God bless you:D

Nick said...

One way to subscribe to a blog is to follow it. Some blogs like mine have a gadget along the edge that says follow this blog. If you want to follow it, simply click on this link and follow the directions.

There is also a place you can subcribe to the feed at the bottom of the page, click on subscrib to: Atom and follow the directions.

I hope this helps.

In regards to the picture it is awful, hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone I know. The picture is actually of the finger of a member of the Gilbert Horseowners Association in Gilbert Arizona. I received the e-mail from the founder of the association, it was her friend.

Best of Luck

Nick